Friday, August 20, 2010

Signing Off

Today was my last day.

It was already a heavy breaking news week for Dallas with a shooting at a local police department and a teenage couple involved in killing a woman and seriously injuring her husband. Then came the police chase that ended besides a Love Field runway.

Yesterday a man decided to lead Dallas police on a chase, not really high speed, just a chase.

We weren't too concerned about it at first. The man was driving at average speeds most of the time. But even with a missing tire he showed no signs of ending the chase willingly.

It wasn't until he decided to drive through a chain-link fence and onto Dallas Love Field airport runways or taxiways that we knew we had a national story on our hands.
It was hectic on Thursday afternoon when it all went down. I helped with the story, went out on the scene and got the byline.

Today was the follow. They had released the name the night before so I had to update with that information and then find out more on his background and what the airport was doing about the security in light of someone with a partially disabled truck being able to very easily drive through a chain-link fence and onto the runways.

Let's just say I had my work cut out for me. But with the help of my fellow AP staffers and persistence, we were able to get the story out. This was the version just before I spoke with airport officials. One can never tell who will publish which version, but this is close enough.

It's been a great summer with the AP and I have met a lot of great editors, reporters and photographers. I learned a lot and I hope to use what I learned in my future endeavors.

Until the next time, goodbye AP and thank you!





No comments:

Post a Comment