Saturday, August 7, 2010

Catching up

daily morning conference call with all regions

patio view from AP headquarters




Well it's been a while since my last post, but to be fair, I have been busy.

After Austin, I went to New York to visit the AP headquarters along with the rest of our intern class. We met the president and many other high-ranking editors. We also had several opportunities to ask questions and chat with some of these individuals.

It wasn't all work though. I met several great fellow interns and we wandered the streets of New York together, did some shopping and stayed up really late. I also did some solo wandering to be able to grab some photos. Sometimes it's better for me to do that on my own so I don't have have people waiting while I randomly focus in on something I have to capture.

It was a fantastic experience and I'm really thankful I had the chance to be a part of it.

We were able to get a bigger picture of what the AP is all about. It really is a global news organization which sometimes you don't think about when you are in the day-to-day reporting out of your bureau. But when I read the wire now, I have a better appreciation for just how far this organization reaches. It's really impressive.

When I got back to Dallas I was catching up with everything when there was more information being released about the Coppell mayor that shot herself and her daughter. It was really frustrating because it seemed like I was just behind everyone with the updates. It turns out our AP Texas e-mail wasn't receiving the releases so for two days of stories I was a little behind on getting the news out. I was able to get the stories out the same days as the information was released, but it was a couple hours after the others. Luckily that has all been remedied so I think if we do decide to run any more stories about it, at least I won't be the last one to know.

AP does like to be first after all.

There has also been some routine daily stuff going on the past couple of weeks to keep me busy. That, and I have still been struggling to get my enterprise finished. I have only three weeks left and it's going to go by super fast.

It's amazing how 12 weeks can seem like a long time at the beginning of the summer then they just disappear.


No comments:

Post a Comment